Mosaic artists help raise funds to save mid-century mosaic mural in Lincoln, NE


A mosaic mural that was the largest of its kind when it was installed in the 1950s is facing demolition this summer in Lincoln, NE. A group of mosaic artists are doing their part to help raise a portion of the $1 million needed to remove the mosaic mural before the wrecking ball hits.

Lincoln artist Carrie Strope, in cooperation with Architectural Glassarts, is assembling mosaic kits that can be purchased by area residents to learn about and create small mosaics while saving a piece of Lincoln history for future generations.

Create and learn about mosaics while saving a piece of Lincoln’s history…

Mosaic ornaments created in upcycled jar lids.

The mosaic mural that resides on the side of the soon to be demolished and outdated event center in downtown Lincoln tells the story of small midwestern town entertainment in the mid 50s with a nod to the activities that took place in Pershing Auditorium. It was designed by Nebraska artists Leonard Thiessen and Bill Hammond and fabricated by the Cambridge Tile Company.

To save this piece of Americana and preserve a bit of our local history, the Committee to Save Pershing’s Mural and the Nebraska State Historical Society Foundation are raising funds spearheaded by Liz Shea-McCoy, a local artist and arts advocate.

Mosaic kits are $10 and 80% of the proceeds go directly to the mural rescue, with the remaining 20% covering costs of materials.

Most of the funds for safely removing the mural from the front of the building have been raised, but more funds need to be raised to store and re-install the mural in its new home. To help with fundraising and to introduce area residents to the art of mosaics, Lincoln artist Carrie Strope and Heather Swartz have donated their time to assemble kits using glass and mirror donated by Architectural Glassarts.

To contribute, area residents can purchase mosaic kits that upcycle jar lids to make sparkling mosaic ornaments. To purchase kits, contact Carrie through her website,

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s